Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sugarloaf Trail: Ohiopyle State Park




Threw the bike on my car after work and went for a quick ride from 6pm-7pm tonight. I decided to try out the Sugarloaf trail in Ohiopyle. I had read about it in one of my mountain biking Pennsylvania books and it was given a decent rating by the author. I parked in the upper lot and road Sugarloaf Road to the junction of the trail. The first mile of double-track is somewhat level and fun to ride. After that climbing is the name of the game. Some sections turn into true single-track and very rocky. I road about 2.6 miles on the trail and had to turn around because I did not want to miss the Penguins game. The ride back was a blast because it was mostly downhill. I believe the ride is 6 miles to the summit on Sugarloaf Mountain so I barely sketched the surface on this ride. This trail has the highest vertical gain (1,680 feet) of any mountain bike trail in the state and I could tell this in the first 2.8 miles. This trail was like most in Ohiopyle, a straight up climb and crazy downhill, not one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...