Monday, March 4, 2013

Yellow Breeches Fishing Report 3-3-2013

My buddy Beno called me a few weeks ago and asked if I wanted to go to the Fly-Fishing Show in Lancaster, PA. So we went down last Saturday and checked out all the vendors and some of the demonstrations that were going on. We also enjoyed the International Fly-Fishing Film Festival that night. After watching all those short films it is almost impossible not to get on the stream, so we decided to go fish the Yellow Breeches on Sunday morning. This was my first trip there, and Ben's second trip so we didn't really know what to expect this early in the season. We briefly fished the famous "Run" that feeds into the Breeches and could see many fish swimming around. I caught two as soon as I tossed my line in, and even had a few striking my indicator. We decided to walk downstream to the Breeches and see what we could do. After passing a lot of slower water we hit some riffles and started tossing our lines in. I moved downstream while Ben picked up 3-4 on a Pheasant Tail (size 14) in the first riffle we stopped at. Fishing was sort of slow for me but I managed two on a Pheasant Tail (size 14) as well. We fished down until we got to a large pool and I picked up one more on a Green Weenie, and we both had a few more hooked. We only saw one or two fish rise the entire time, and I ended up getting a nice brown on top with a size 18 BWO; but I think it was a little too cold for any real hatch to happen. I would love to get back to this stream when the eye-lids of my rod aren't freezing up every few casts. Overall we landed about 10 between the two of us between 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.

Couldn't resist the Green Weenie
During the IF4 I was lucky enough to snag a free 5-weight line, but missed out on both of the free fly-rods they were giving out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...