Saturday, August 24, 2013

Yellowstone National Park: Day 4 - 5

Ben's Yellowstone Cutthroat
Day 4: We spent the last full day in the park fishing the Lamar River. This was my favorite stream that we fished because we had plenty of action and even were lucky enough to reel in a few Yellowstone Cutthroats! We fished mostly attractor patterns and found a lot of fish coming up to look at the fly only to turn us down. I ended up catching a few underneath on Copper Johns and Ben landed three nice trout with an attractor pattern.
Lamar River 
My first Yellowstone Cut!
Day 5:  On the way out of the park we stopped and fished Trout Lake, located along the Northeast Entrance road. We didn't end up catching anything at the lake but saw plenty of hogs cruising around the edges of the lake searching for food. A float tube would be handy on this lake because we saw fish rising in the middle where we couldn't cast. It didn't help us that we arrived around noon and were gone by 2:00 p.m. but the lake was beautiful and it was cool to see 19-22 inch Rainbows and Cutthroats in the water. I would have loved to fish this lake in the evening to see just how many trout would rise, but we had to get on the road to make the trip home.
Trout Lake

Leaving Trout Lake



Lamar Valley
Overall I really enjoyed the trip and can't wait until I am able to get back. Although fishing was a little tough, you can't beat the scenery that Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons have to offer. Hopefully when I get back out there I will be able to go earlier in the fishing season and hit a few streams that I wasn't able to get to this time out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...