Tuesday, September 17, 2013

More of the same

The water temperature gauge  has been jacked up for a few weeks now. So I decided to fish yesterday morning to see if the cooler nights have had any effect on the river. I took a water temperature of 65 degrees at 6:45 am a mile above town. This temperature would be ok for most rivers and streams but for this river it's too high, the fish seem to shut off for some reason. I fished for a few hours but the conditions were the same as I experienced last week. SLOW! I managed 1 fish underneath the bobber and it didn't put up too much of a fight. I decided on the bike out that I am going to leave the it be for some time. The bottom release needs to come down 10 degrees before things get fishy again. Hopefully with Fall approaching the nighttime lows will help this out. I did see some Slate Drakes hatching early, hopefully they stay around long enough for when the water temperatures get good again. If you are planning on fishing the Yough in the next few weeks I would advise to fish elsewhere if you are looking to catch trout. It's time for me to gear up for the upcoming archery season, I have been slacking this summer in regards to scouting. I did hang 2 stands at a new property I have access too. There were rubs all over the place so the bucks are shedding velvet fast. It's that time of year again to be thinking bucks instead of browns.

On a side note I decided to work on some Tight-Lining techniques in the evening. I never really fish this stream after Mid-May. I was surprised at how low the water is, so my Tight-Lining methods weren't the best option. I did manage 5 fish which is a good sign. It's nice to see a few made it for next season. The water temperature here was 60 degrees at 5pm, it will be good to go for the rest of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...