Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Access Mid Arbor III: Gear Review

  
  I've only had the chance to test this reel out once but I was impressed with it's performance. It felt really good on my 9 foot 5 weight Helios. I have been using a Large Arbor Reel on that rod for a few years now and it was just too heavy for the light Helios. As soon as I mounted this reel on I could tell it was the perfect fit. I even managed to land a 23 inch brown with it, the retrieve was solid and the drag system was even better.

 The Orvis Access Mid Arbor has a carbon disc drag instead of a click and pawl drag. It’s a sealed drag utilizing carbon discs and stainless steel. It doesn’t need any lubricating and it won't get effected if you submerge into the water.
The drag is really clean and the application of power is very steady. Another positive is how easy it is to set, numbers let you know how much pressure you’re putting on. The drag knob is also easy to adjust, even when your hands are cold. So far so good, I will give it some punishment this upcoming season to see if it holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...