Friday, January 26, 2018

A/B Testing

We still have hats to sell! Email grobeanglers@gmail.com if you are interested




A/B Testing 
So far this winter season the West has scene very dismal snow totals for much of the region. The one exception so far has been Montana. The Gallatin Range is currently sitting at 137% for the year and the Madison Range is at 117%. Let's hope Old Man Winter keeps it cranking, the 10 day forecast looks very good.

Lone Peak Burried 
The skiing has been so good I've been on the slopes more then usual this winter. It seems like every weekend is a powder day....very hard to pass up!


I have managed to get out and do some fishing though, and it's been pretty darn good during those outings. This time of year I spend more time at the bench then usual, and I like to create some new nymph patterns to test out. Making yourself shy away from those staples in your box is sometimes hard to do, but the payoff can be big if you discover the next best meal ticket.

Big Dance Dialing In His TightLine Rig 
I've spent most of my time local over the past 3 weeks. Fishing wasn't lights out anywhere I went but it fished pretty darn consistent. I know I sound like a broken record but getting your flies down to where they are bouncing off the bottom is key right now if you want to stay bent. Smaller Flashy nymph's in the #16-#18 class have been taking the majority of rainbows. The browns still seem to want to stone fly. I encountered an epic midge hatch finally, and for the next 6 weeks fish will be looking up in the calmer water for that reliable meal. It started a little later then normal.

Most of the freestoners in this area are clear of ice which is shocking. You can pretty much get on any water right now from top to bottom. That could change quickly but for now get out and enjoy the solitude while you can!

TL the pocket water 

New Nymph Patterns Doing Some Work 

Empty Rivers 
Storms A Brewing 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...