Monday, March 25, 2019

The Transition






We've finally had a warm up here in Montana. The amount of valley snow melt has caused quite a few of the freestoners to turn off color this week. I got into some action prior to that and the worm bite was ridiculously good. It's quite incredible how many of these "dirt snakes" enter the water when the snow starts to melt. The fish react in a predatory way and devour any red or pink type worm you toss into the water. I've gone back to an original San Juan type pattern because too many guys these days are throwing the Squirmie and it just hasn't been as effective for me as of late. The bugs have started to come off too which is a great sign. I've scene quite a few Baetis in the air but limited risers. I'm anxiously awaiting reports for the Skwala Stone Fly hatch up north to get going but nothing so far......it's a few weeks behind schedule this year.

The fish are starting to break their lazy winter habits and move to different parts of the river. If the cool down that is expected comes later this week and the water settles down there should be really good fishing to come in the next few weeks.


1 comment:

  1. Hello
    I Read your article. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information, and I hope you will share some more information about Fishing. You wrote really very well, I really like your blog and information provided by you. I appreciate your work.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...