Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Archery Report 11/02/09: THE KILL






Weather 39 degrees, no wind and sunny. Hunted the "Twin Tree" on the backside from 6:30am-11:30am. I marked this day on my calendar back in September, it was the "Rutting Moon" according to rut professionals so I was anxious to see what would happen. Andy had a buck cross the road on his drive in to the gas well. He hunted his power line stand and Bill was in the acorn tree. The early morning was very slow, not too much activity. Around 10:30 am I heard a deer coming from behind me. I turned around and saw a doe cruising from the water ponds. She went 10 yards from me but kept looking back. I did as well and spotted a 3 point with his nose to the ground. Came out of the same spot as the doe. I watch those two for about 3 minutes mess around, then I heard a twig break behind me. I looked back and had a nice 8-point behind me. We hunt the "Big Woods" so this deer was a trophy in our book. He went about 6 yards to the right of me in search of the "hot doe." I stood up and zeroed in on his vitals, took the shot and crushed him. He fell dead about 20 yards from when I hit him. Nothing is more exciting then seeing this type of action in the woods. I hunted hard for a buck this Fall and my hard work finally paid off!


That evening we all went back out, same stands but me, I went to the Sawmill. Andy saw a weird looking buck that reminded him of the "unicorn" I shot last year, it ran by him so he didn't get to see if it was legal. Billy saw 1 nice bear eating above his stand and two other guys hunting near the field saw 2 other bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...