Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yosemite National Park








After a day in the city it was time to venture out into the wilderness. Yosemite National Park was the destination, about a 4 hour drive from San Francisco. We were unable to get a reservation at any campground prior to our arrival which was kind of annoying at the time but ended up being a good thing. We set up camp at Tamarack Flat, about a 40 minute drive from the valley and an hour away from Tuolumne Meadows. All the sites here were first come first serve, all you needed to do was snatch up a bear locker. We arrived late morning on Thursday and had no issue getting a spot. This was the second campground on Tioga Highway 120 coming from San Francisco. There were tons of campground along Tioga Highway but I suggest if you want to be close to Yosemite Valley you hit up Crane Flat or Tamarack Flat....the other ones further up the road would be better if you planned on spending more of your time in Tuolumne Meadows. There were plenty of bathrooms and overall the campground was pretty nice, had water also. I will break down the different areas we went to in the park but to sum things up....the views were amazing....best thing in the park in my mind. The wildlife was non-existent. I guess this could be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I was expecting more "Wildlife Jams" on the roads like I saw in Rocky Mountain National Park but this was not the case. Saw a few Mule Deer with nice racks but that was it. The hiking was pretty darn challenging if you hiked from the valley up to waterfalls or views. My knee wasn't in the best shape so I only made it to Nevada Falls the first day....but.....it was more challenging then some stuff I did in RMNP. And of course I went fishing....I was out west so I had to bring my rod. I won't get into too many details but the fishing was......."ok" and "nothing special."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...