Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Copper Mountain: The Locals Joint




Today we headed out to Copper Mountain to try and get away from the crowds here in Summit County. Copper Mountain is located right off of I70 and about 15 minutes from where we are staying in Dillon. The day parking is easy to find and is free, they also offer frequent shuttle service to get you too the lifts. The lift tickets were still $100 but this resort was EXTREMELY kind to the ski patrol membership card. I got two lift tickets for $100 bucks! We ventured up the American Eagle lift for the first few runs of the day. Copperopolis, Bouncer, Main View and Fair Play were just what we needed to warm up. All of these slopes had great pitches and decent surface conditions. All three of us noticed that the grooming was a bit sub-par to Vail and Breckenridge. We then did some runs on the Super Bee 6-pack. Andy's Encore and Rosi's Run were our favorite. They matched some of the best runs I had at Vail and Breckenridge with long, steep descents. Our legs were tired so we only skied till noon today. I got the opportunity to hike up the Union Bowl and drop in for some turns. The snow was pretty hard but the pitch was intense. I also ventured over to the Resolution Bowl, I only took 1 run but the top half was steep and loaded with bumps. It looked like they could use some snow over there. This wasn't my favorite bowl of the trip for sure. Overall, the crowds were low compared to the other resorts which was a big bonus. Not as much terrain as Breckenridge or Vail but just as satisfying. I can see why locals flock to this place, I enjoyed it plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...