Monday, October 22, 2012

Big Run State Park: Monroe Run Hiking Trail

Mindy and I took advantage of the nice weather today and decided to head down to the Savage River State Forest in Maryland. Our destination was Big Run State Park and the Monroe Trail Head. It only took us about 40 minutes to get down there from my house in Chalkhill. The trail is very easy to follow because of how wide it is. There were several stream crossings along the way but we didn't have any issues because the water is so low. I would imagine this being a different story if it rained prior to arrival. We hiked 3 miles from the Trail Head and decided to return the same way. The trail goes for 6.4 miles one way. The first 3 miles are very flat.

On another note I spotted a bunch of nice Brook Trout in the pools that Monroe Run had to offer. There were a decent number of good fish in the 5-7 inch class. I wouldn't mind venturing back to down here with my fly rod.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...