I was able to get out on 2 morning sits this week. Tuesday I was able to hunt till 10am in the "Gorge Stand." After getting winded on Saturday in my climber I decided to locate my ladder stand on the other side of the logging road where I saw the 2 deer. Well, right at 7:15 am I saw a big body 75 yards below me walking the trail. He was headed right up too me and the wind was perfect. I took a closer look at his rack and decided he was worth taking, average 7 point by mountain standards but I was chomping at the bit. I took aim at 32 yards......and looked up to see a branch moving up and down! I let my excitement get too me and should of waited for a better shot, that time in the morning gives out bogus light at that range and it bit me in the ass. I went down and grabbed my arrow, no blood. I was a bit angry with myself but decided to get back up in my tree. Around 9:30 am a small 4 or 6 point came through the field and headed up into the pines. On the way out I was looking at the ground and stumbled across some blood! I guess I ended up clipping the buck with my arrow on ricochet. I tracked it for about 100 yards but the buck was heading up hill and after the 100 yards the blood was very scarce. I am sure he will live to see another day, I hate situations like that in archery, I'll take my experience and learn from it.
I got back up into the same stand this morning (10-11-12) not expecting to see anything because of the commotion I caused on Tuesday. The weather was perfect, 30 degrees and clear skies. No deer moved through the areas from 7am-8am but 15 minutes after 8 I caught a glimpse of a big deer on the field edge. It moved into the woods rather quickly and I didn't see what it was, I got the feeling it was another buck. I haven't scene a doe all season, I will be heading out tomorrow morning, might try a different spot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency
This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40...
-
There were two lakes we got to fish on our trip. We hiked up to Lukens Lake once again due to my knee and time restraints. It was only an ea...
-
Consistent Fishing All Winter Long The mild weather continues in the Bozone as of late. I've been busy with work but have kept f...
-
A few of my buddies and I headed out to Quebec Run Natural Area for a backpacking trip this weekend. We left the house on Frida...
I hunt near OhioPyle too, beautiful country there!
ReplyDelete