Sunday, January 26, 2020

Winter So Far

To be honest, it doesn't really feel like winter here in Southwestern Montana. Our coldest stretch of weather hit us that last week of October when my brother Andy was out here chasing trout for the week. Since then....above average temperatures and dry conditions persist in the valley floors. The mountain snowpack hasn't faired too bad....we are slightly below average for the year and we still have plenty of time to add to the depth.

With the warm weather comes plenty of opportunities for the fair weather guys to get out and about. The Gallatin looked like a July day as I drove home from Big Sky today. I'm glad folks are getting out but I'd be happy to see high 20's as highs for a few weeks.

As for my own fishing outings things have been pretty solid. I fished the Madison yesterday and hooked into plenty of fish on a big stonefly pattern. The midges were pouring off but I couldn't dial in my dropper.....not sure what the deal was. I did see some pockets of risers (typical for this time of year) but elected to stay underneath because the targets weren't that great in number. The forecast is looking warm for the next 10 days so I am sure people will be getting out. Fly selection is usually fairly simple this time of year, just make sure you are pouncing on the bottom. Have fun out there.





1 comment:

  1. I just want to say thanks for your wonderful post,Very enjoyable to visit this blog and find something exciting and amazing.


    Watch Fishing videos


    I think you not ever Seen this type of traditional and primitive fishing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...