Monday, June 21, 2010

McCune Trail: Ohiopyle State Park

I decided to ride the McCune Trail atop Sugarloaf Mountain on Sunday. I parked at the McCune Trailhead and started up the grassy road. I found out minutes into the ride that the trail has not been cut or maintenanced in some time. The grass was thigh high until the trail entered the woods. This was quite annoying because I spotted one snake and I was more focused on that then the ride itself. After entering the woods the ride is on an old logging road and was very enjoyable, the views of the Youghiogeny Watershed were decent, I bet in the fall they are amazing. After 1.2 miles the trail comes to a halt but a few volunteers have created a new 1.8 mile single track ride back to the scenic overlook atop Sugarloaf. This section was very technical and fun, but.........it was overgrown. You could tell not many people have ridden it this year. I encourage all mountain bikers in the area to give this a whirl. Maybe if we get enough traffic on it the growth will stop and the trail will clean up a bit. This is by far the best single-track I have ridden so far in the Ohiopyle area. The ride was much flatter then most of the rides in the park.(with the exception of about .25 miles which is slightly uphill and technical) Hopefully the park will get out and do some maintenance on this soon so more people can enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...