Sunday, March 18, 2012

Another Feeder

Got to fish for a few hours after work last night. The water looked superb where I fished, many deep green riffles and runs that looked very fishy. The air temperature was 67 degrees with sunshine. I didn't take a water temperature but the flow was strong, creating many more holding areas for trout then later in the season. I used inexperience on this stream to my advantage. Not knowing where any of the "good holes" were we blindly fished a 200 yard section of pocket water. Standard nymph's in various sizes and colors; Pheasant Tails, Prince Nymph's, Copper John's produced some great action early. We had 3-4 fish on in the first riffle we tried, and action continued to be decent throughout that 200 yards. The fish in this section were very eager to eat our flies, I would suspect this was due to pressure. Each stream I have fished this year in Western PA seems to be this way, find the in-between water that gets no pressure and you will be rewarded with fish. The key to this is patience because the fish numbers are not as high in these sections. But there has been high water in recent weeks and fish do spread out, you just have to do a little extra work to find them.





I really enjoyed the scenery and pocket water of this section of this creek. The bug activity was good, little stone flies were hatching in good numbers even bringing a few fish up to the surface, caught my first fish on a dry fly this year in March....I hope that is a sign of things to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Man Winter Grappling With Consistency

  This will go down as one of the mildest Decembers since I have moved out to Montana. We've had a stretch of temperatures into the 40&#...